Has your copier and print fleet seen better days? Are you thinking about a refresh but don't know where to get started? This undertaking is often a task that many IT directors and managers dread. But choosing the best copier dealer can be the difference between a productive workforce and copiers that are consistently down or in need of repair. If you haven't purchased or leased a copier recently, it's hard to know what to look for. When you select a business technology partner, they should help you choose equipment that will work best for your business to streamline processes and maximize outcomes to help your business grow. Many will say that all copier dealers are the same. Still, do a little research and dig beneath the surface. You'll see that copier dealers are very different from one another. Here are 12 questions to help you find and work with a new copier dealer.
- Does your dealer take the time to understand your business needs? Your print fleet is like any investment. You don't buy or lease your equipment for no rhyme or reason. It would be best if you match your equipment with the needs of your business.
- Does the dealer offer a range of well-known brand products? Dealers that provide a wide range of equipment - from either one or multiple manufacturers - will be able to equip your business with the proper devices for your needs. They'll be able to layout a plan for all of your MFPs and fit your business with devices that help you reach your goals.
- Is the dealer an authorized dealer? Authorized dealers have access to many benefits that unauthorized dealers don't, such as product training and an established and nurtured relationship with a manufacturer. With more knowledge and training, you will be able to get better service and a better price.
- Can the dealer keep you stocked with supplies? Keeping track of toner can be quite a chore. A great dealer will offer you a program that keeps track of your toner usage and can send you supplies BEFORE you run out.
- Does the dealer have happy customers? Ask for references, and talk to them! Does the company have a good reputation for honesty and timely service? A dealer may offer a low price that initially looks great, but they may nickel and dime you or not show up when you need assistance. Look for a copier dealer that partners with their clients for success. Also, ask if they use a customer satisfaction metric system, like Net Promoter Score. Good dealers seek the feedback of their customers to find out areas for improvement and learn what they're doing well. At Fraser, we utilize the Net Promoter Score to gauge customer loyalty and happiness.
- Are their service technicians factory trained? At some point in time, your MFPs will need maintenance and repair. Just like any other piece of equipment, it takes care to keep it running optimally. When the need arises, you will want factory-certified trained professionals working on your equipment. Find out if the technicians are factory trained, how often they receive training and how experienced their technicians are.
- Does the dealer focus on YOUR uptime and quickly resolve your issues? A good dealer will track your service metrics and strive to improve them. Fraser measures several important service metrics to ensure we're providing the best customer service. One of those is First Call Efficiency (FCE). FCE means how efficient we are at fixing your equipment on our first visit. You'll also want a dealer who has parts and supplies on hand at all times and rarely has to order parts. Fraser technicians each have more than $7,000 worth of parts in their company vehicles, and our 30,000-square foot warehouse is full of supplies as well. Our goal is to fix issues the first time the technician visits, and for Fraser, that's nearly nine times out of ten!
- Do they focus on doing the job right instead of quickly? Often, a copier dealer will incentivize their technicians to complete as many jobs as possible in one day. Practices like this can often lead to shoddy repairs and a lack of preventive maintenance. When Fraser sends a technician, they are encouraged to do the job right and address all maintenance issues. Our technicians are 100%-focused on the job they are doing and not rushing to get to the next call to meet an incentive.
- Do they provide product training? MFPs have numerous capabilities that most people aren't even aware of. To help you get the most out of your investment, your new copier dealer should provide you with full user training. And if you need additional training, you should be able to contact the dealer and schedule more sessions if necessary.
- Do they offer other services that fit with your business? Copier dealers today aren't just copier dealers. They provide additional business services such as unified communications and telephone systems, managed print services, managed IT services and more. Consolidation of services with one vendor can help you develop a true partnership with your technology vendor, which can streamline your business.
- What are their financing options? Nine times out of ten, a business doesn't want to purchase a piece of equipment outright. So make sure that leasing options are available. Leasing will give you the greatest flexibility to add new equipment as you grow. Leasing also provides you with a predictable monthly cost over time versus a significant capital expenditure all at once.
- Can the copier deal do it all for you? Can the copier dealer manage your entire print fleet? Often, small businesses don't have the internal staff to manage copiers and printers. Situations like these are when it pays to outsource the management of that fleet of equipment. With managed print services, all of the maintenance of your print fleet moves to the copier dealer, and you don't have to worry about toner or supplies (except maybe paper) anymore.
This list may seem a bit more than you thought when you started thinking about a new copier fleet. But, these questions will work to get you the best dealer that meets your needs and can help your business grow. Fraser is more than ready to answer all of your questions and help!